Sunday, October 26, 2008

Neurblastoma Childhood Cancer Heros




Neurblastoma is a type of childhood cancer. Neuroblastoma is one of the rarest and most deadly. The fundraisers for childhood cancer research are great...but almost zero of the money goes to Neurblastoma. That's why these kids fighting are my hero's. When diagnosed with Neurblastoma most cases are 30% chance of survival. These kids almost have no chance...but when you see them all you see is hope. You see survival living through them, you see strength courage and life. Why is it these kids have EVERYTHING to lose but live with more then all of us, when we have everything right beside us. We can all learn something from these kids. Everyday when I wake up I think about what they have to do today, and what I have to do. They have to go through chemotherapy, radiation, bone marrow transplants, and I think my homework and dance is hard. But I have truly been blessed because I had this cancer (It's actually me in the two pictures above). But I am one of the lucky survivors, you won't see many. So please let these kids be your hero's, they can show you life and strength. After reading about them I'm sure you will look at life in a new way.

Quotes

If Children have the ability to ignore odds and percentages, then maybe we can all learn from them.When you think about it, what other chance is there but to hope? We have two options, medically and emotionally: give up, or fight like hell".

If you think you can do it, you can. If you believe you can do it, you will. If you trust you can do it, you will make a difference."


One of my good friends had neuroblastoma but sadly lost her life. Her journey was one of the greatest. she was also a dancer and she had cancer for over 4 years. She gives me strength still to this day. Her mother made a good quote about her strength and how Christi's fight went.

She bravely fought with the strength of a soldier while maintaining the grace and beauty of a ballerina - teaching life’s lessons along the way.






Read more about Christi she was truly amazing, she was child of the month it's a great story http://www.geocities.com/childofthemonth/FebruaryChristi.html. She also has a website http://www.christithomas.com/.

I also do a fundraiser every year called "Alex's Lemonade Stand". Alex is a little girl who also battled neuroblastoma but also lost her life. This is one of the greatest stories. When she was going through treatment she wanted to find a way to help other kids going through treatment. She told her parents she wanted to start a lemonade stand to raise money for childhood cancer research. This lemonade stand has become nation wide and has been going on for 5 years. Alex is one of the biggest hero's because even though she is not here today she is helping other kids survive. Her fundraiser is one of the biggest. This just shows how much a child can do. Alex is my hero.





Alex at her stand. Alex's Book. Some friends and I helping at the stand.

Alex also wrote a book which her video is based on..its very cool. Watch her video it will truly touch your heart. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM9GbaSsUaE
The people in my life that are hero's are these kids. They are not known superheros but they do have super strength, more then super hero's in movies. These kids go through more in 1-4 years then many people do in there whole life. I hope you learned something from them and read there stories and watched the videos. I hope they can be your hero's too.

4 comments:

Julia said...

After reading this blog, i learned that it is important to hope and wish for the best. It also taught me how lucky I am to be healthy.

Adrienne H. said...

I learned that to be a hero you have to stay positive and many people, like me, don't realize how lucky they are.

Britta said...

It's really heartbreaking to see that when everyone donates to "cancer" it mostly goes to like breast cancer and the major ones, unlike rare ones like this. Thats really cool that you do the lemonade thing. are you doing it again this year? I learned that heroes can be strong in hope, faith, and perseverance, not only through physical strength and that they can inspire others to take action against something that needs to be righted.

Ms. Roehl said...

Good hero box.