Sunday, March 8, 2009

Blog #10 holiday


I read an article on Wikipedia about Valentines Day. The reason I chose to right and article about Valentines Day is because I know it's not a religious holiday and it's just a calender holiday. I wanted to know how and why they decided to make this a holiday, it's very interesting. This holiday was named after to early Christians named valentine, this became associated with romantic love, when the tradition of courtly love flourished. This holiday has gone on since the 19th century and that's when it started with greeting cards. In Great Britain in the 19th century cards and Valentines Day was very popular. The Greeting Card Associating says that one billion cards are sent out in the whole world on this day. The second leading holiday for greeting cards after Christmas. Wow this one really surprised me, Valentines Day isn't even a real holiday just something someone made up and it makes that much money. It's weird that people follow through with it. It also says men spend twice as much money as women. Why is it that it's always the men's job to figure out the plans and buy the nice things? That one just always gets to me but I guess it's okay cause I'm the girl! But I also thing Valentines Day sets people up for disappointment. If you have a boyfriend or married or whatever the case you always hope and expect for this great day. Which usually never happens because all food places are full, and everything is packed. I think you should always shoot low. Just being with that special person should be enough. My dream Valentines Day would just be cooking dinner with my boyfriend and watching a movie with a fire, and just being together. I think Valentines Day should just be about being together and not the money or the gifts or anything. Just happiness, togetherness, joy, and love :)

site:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentine%27s_Day

No comments: